The Barn's on Fire, The Horses are Out, and Someone Has a Stinky Bum

Do cowgirl moms have guilt, too? You bet. And, we even change bums and take our kids to dance practice, between feeding critters and quading around the countryside. You've discovered my garden, now check out the ranch.

http://www.quirkymommyc.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Toilet Tales: The Scoop on Poop

Andrea Wayne von Königslöw
Annick Press Feb 2008
Ages 1-3 32pp
Paperback ISBN 10: 1-55451-131-3
ISBN 13: 978-1-55451-131-0
Library Bound ISBN 10: 1-55451-132-1
ISBN 13: 978-1-55451-132-7


If “Everyone Poops” is a little too graphic for you, this one will be right up your alley. “Toilet Tales” has been providing parents and toddlers with giggles for more than 20 years, and has sold more than 45, 000 copies. Andrea Wayne von Königslöw has now pumped up her classic potty book with not only a new set of silly illustrations, but also a few new disastrous scenarios.

“Potty Tales” explores the more than likely catastrophes that would ensue should the animal kingdom ever meet with the loo. And no, there are no dogs to be found drinking from the toilet bowl. This imaginative tale is more sophisticated than that. I know, I just used the word “sophisticated” when referring to a potty book. Back on track. As the mother of three little inspirations, I can tell you first hand that your little tots will find the humour in an orca that falls in love with a commode, and a beaver that builds a toothbrush-dam in the toilet bowl. If you are curious to know what calamities may befall a giraffe, an elephant, a lion, a seal, a snake, a pack of kangaroos, a goat, a flock of sheep, an octopus, and a mouse (I have to feel sorry for the rodent), I would recommend obtaining a copy of this story. My own potty training son has started calling this story the “funny book”.

I love “Potty Tales” not only for its adorable illustrations and great use of humour, but also for the fact that it illustrates how special using the potty is. Those crazy little potty training tykes have gone on an amazing evolutionary journey. Hard to believe at this stage of the game when they seem more like zoo creatures than mature human beings, but they have. They have transformed from sea creature-like embryos into amazing miniature cavemen. Using the potty is a step forward in their evolution. I am not sure that I would be able to explain that to my child, as a means of encouragement. However, I don’t have to. “Potty Tales” has reached out to my toddlers and explained it for me, like a really funny and well illustrated cave drawing with entertaining text.

Don’t let the potty subject turn you off of reading this one to your older children. It has no problem amusing those who have already graduated this phase. My four-year-old had a great laugh, too. At its heart, it is simply a great read for children and parents alike.

No comments: