The Barn's on Fire, The Horses are Out, and Someone Has a Stinky Bum

Do cowgirl moms have guilt, too? You bet. And, we even change bums and take our kids to dance practice, between feeding critters and quading around the countryside. You've discovered my garden, now check out the ranch.

http://www.quirkymommyc.blogspot.com/

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Penelope and the Humungous Burp: Breaking Ground



Sheri Radford (auth)
Christine Tripp (ill)
Lobster Press Nov 2005
Ages: 4-6 32pp
Trade Paperback ISBN 189707333X
Hard Cover ISBN 1894222830


“Penelope and the Humungous Burp” is sure to become one of your children’s favourites. It is the cute story of grape soda-guzzling Penelope, her gastro-intestinal maladies, and a reluctant “excuse me.” I have yet to meet the child who doesn’t get a giggle out of gas. If that isn’t enough to captivate them, the idea of doctors, policemen, and firemen, all running around because of one little girl's gas, will tickle the giggles right out of them. However, while this story is adorable, it is not the reason I have chosen to sing its praises.

The brilliance of “Penelope and the Humungous Burp” shines through with fantastic illustrations. At last! Here’s a book for all of us mothers who don’t have time for power Pilates, and haven’t yet made it to the store to buy a pair of Spanks. I would just like to say, I love Christine Tripp. Penelope has a real mom- complete with sagging bottom and post-baby paunch. Her father is no muscular hunk, either. He’s just a plain old dad in glasses and a sweat shirt. Amid todays over airbrushed, super-dieted, and hyper pumped out media creations, I’ll gladly settle for Penelope’s parents. As the gate keepers to our children’s stimuli, it is our responsibility to present them with images other than June and Ward Clever, or Angelina and Brad.

But, the most ground breaking element of this book is its eclectic use of multiculturalism. Penelope is a biracial child- her mother appears to be of African-American descent, while her father is of European descent. As a mother of three multi-racial children, I am very excited about this book and the subtle message it provides for my little ones. The lesser cast members of “Penelope and the Humungous Burp”, are also worthy of mention. They include not only a female doctor and a female firefighter, but a couple of female police officers, as well. The pages of this delightful little burp tale are filled with characters of diverse backgrounds, to include African-American and Asian persons. And, I certainly wouldn’t want to forget, the illustrations are very comical.

Penelope has a quirky charm about her that will surely find a place in your heart.The three little inspirations cannot get enough of this book, and neither can I. It is not only cute, but also contemporary, and ground breaking. Your children will get the obvious lesson regarding manners, while being entertained. At the same time, a subtle graphic message- one that fights against propping up unrealistic body types as the status quo, and rallies for greater racial diversity, will seep deep into their minds, preparing them to lead the way in a more tolerant society than we, ourselves, have been able to enjoy.


  • Shortlisted, Ontario Library Association Blue Spruce Award (2006)

  • Winner, Gold Award, Just For Mom Foundation "Mom's Choice" Awards (2005)

  • Top Ten "Great Book" of the Year, Canadian Toy Testing Council (2004)

  • Semifinalist, Independent Publisher Book Awards, Best Picture Book (2005)

4 comments:

Kim Wheedleton said...

Sounds like a great book - I need to go get this one!

Mommy C said...

Yes, from reading your posts, I think it is perfect for your family ...well, maybe not your husband. I am sure his aversion to potty humour extends to gas, as well.

Anonymous said...

Hello Mommy C! This is Stephanie from Lobster Press - we publish the "Penelope" series. Just had to thank you for your hilarious write-up of "Penelope & the Humongous Burp." As a non-pilates-doing-mom it sure brought a smile to my face! Just FYI, fans should also check out "Penelope & the Monsters" and next spring we have a third Penelope adventure - info coming soon at lobsterpress.com.

Thanks again and keep up the great work!

Mommy C said...

Stephanie,
I am glad you enjoyed my post. I loved this book. As I am planning to interview Christine, I am certain that I will be reviewing "Penelope and the Monsters" soon. I am looking forward to the third installment, but not as much as my children.