The Barn's on Fire, The Horses are Out, and Someone Has a Stinky Bum

Do cowgirl moms have guilt, too? You bet. And, we even change bums and take our kids to dance practice, between feeding critters and quading around the countryside. You've discovered my garden, now check out the ranch.

http://www.quirkymommyc.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Little Black Book for Girlz: A Book on Healthy Sexuality :Breaking Ground

The Little Black Book For Girlz: A Book on Healthy Sexuality
Auth: St. Stephen's Community House
Annick Press 2006
176 pp
Ages: 14+
ISBN: 13: 978-1-55037-954-9
1-55037-954-2


Here is the book of the century, for teen girls. Wow! Why is it that no one thought of this before? The Little Black Book For Girls, has been surrounded by controversy, but having read it, more than once, I eagerly give it my stamp of approval. I will not get into the fore mentioned controversy, because I would end up on a soapbox, and that would eat up valuable space- space I could better use telling you about this wonderful book.

This is a book written by youth for youth. That is the first extraordinary thing about this book. Let’s be honest. Who ever wanted to hear a sex lecture from a parent or teacher? No teen girl ever said, “I am not sure if my period is normal. Maybe I’ll go ask Mr. Smith, my chemistry teacher.” When I was a teen (yes, I know that was a long time ago) we got the goods from each other. The language of The Little Black Book For Girls, will have any teen girl, automatically hooked. Some of it may be a little colourful for the right wing parent, but the colloquialism of it all really does help propel the information.

So what’s inside?

There are sections on relationships, periods, sex, birth control, pregnancy/ miscarriage, abortion, STIs (they were known as STDs in my day), AIDS, and sexual assault. These sections are supported by a glossary, and list of resources, as well as unbelievably revealing poems, artwork and personal accounts. While The Little Black Book For Girls, is written by a collection of girls from the St. Stephen’s Community House drug-free youth arcade, in Toronto, all of the information has been guided by medical professionals.

There are plenty of easy to understand diagrams and tables throughout this book. My favourites are the checklists that help teen girls decide such things as, if they are in a healthy relationship or not, alternatives to intercourse, a list of ways to insist on condom use, and what constitutes sexual assault.

The Little Black Book For Girls is also full of interviews with the experts. The questions are asked by the teen girls, themselves, so you can bet that they are the questions that teens want to ask, and not just the answers we want to give them.

Are there elements that would offend some parents? Definitely. For example, the issues of homosexuality and premarital sex are explored. I can only say that no particular lifestyle is supported by this book, however, a great deal of information and resources are, which will help your teen to make the proper lifestyle choices. Think your child will never need information on those types of topics? I went to a high school that had about 500 students. Three of my friends came out of the closet following graduation, we had one girl who walked the stage at commencement just months from being a mother, herself, and many of my friends had stories of sexual harassment and assault.

But, off the soap box. I don’t just recommend this book for teen girls (though they’ll eat it up- my niece read the entire thing in one day), I recommend it for their mothers and fathers, too, and let’s add educators while we’re at it. I really thought I knew the whole of the birds and the bees, but those girls at the St. Stephen’s drug-free arcade sure know their stuff. Ever hear of a Lea’s Shield? Me neither. How about Trichomoniasis? It is an STI that you really can get from a toilet seat. It is important for adult role models to know these things if they are to help their children make choices. I believe that parents will also find the tables useful. Stumped on finding away to communicate what a healthy relationship is, to your teen. Just memorize the chart. It has everything you need. Single dads, this is your saviour. Rather than struggle over awkward topics that you never wanted to know about in the first place, buy your girl a copy of the book, but please, read it yourself before you give it to her, because she is bound to still have a few questions.

I could really go on forever about the wonders of this book. When my own girls are of age, you can bet there will be a copy waiting for them. It would make a great “welcome to womanhood” gift. The girls who wrote this book are pretty smart cookies, and that is just what I intend to raise. Annick Press has broken new ground, once again. I can’t help but wonder if Elizabeth has a well read copy of this book tucked in her paper bag.


  • New York Library's Book for the Teen Age
  • "Our Choice" List, Canadian Children's Book Centre
  • ALA 2008 Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults

Also, watch for The Little Black Book for Guys: Guys Talk About Sex, due to be published by Annick Press in September of 2008

2 comments:

cinnamon gurl said...

Wow, you've totally sold me. Now what about for boys???

Mommy C said...

I will have to double check, but I am almost certain that I read something about Annick having a Little Black Book For Boyz, in the works. I'll find out for sure and get back to you.